2019-12-11 by Daisy I.
8 Things You Need to Know About Miss Universe 2019, Zozibini Tunzi
Zozibini Tunzi was crowned Miss Universe on Sunday night. Over 90 countries and territories were represented, but the seven female judges crowned Miss South Africa 2019, Tonzi, after hearing her responses to questions on social issues, strutting through the evening gown and swimsuit competitions.
“I grew up in a world where a woman who looks like me — with my kind of skin and my kind of hair — was never considered to be beautiful,” she said. “I want children to look at me and see my face and I want them to see their faces reflected in mine.”
Here’s what you need to know about Zozibini Tunzi.
She’s 26 years old, born on 18th September 1993.
- She’s 5 ft 10 in (1.78m tall.
- She was born in Tsolo, Eastern Cape of South Africa.
- She studied at Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
- Her first pageant was in 2017, when she was a semi-finalist of Miss South Africa 2017.
- She is a proud activist who speaks out about gender based violence on her social media. She promotes the UN’s #HeForShe campaign.
- Tonzi is only the third woman from South Africa to win the title, and the first black woman since Leila Lopes was crowned Miss Universe in 2011.
- She will now move to New York City to reside with Miss USA 2019. She’ll take part in events and appearances internationally that advocate her values and those of the Miss Universe brand.