The first victims of the Christchurch terror attack have been named, as dozens more remain missing – including a three-year-old boy.
Police have confirmed that at least one child has been killed, while a number of other children remain in hospital.
Brenton Tarrant, 28, appeared in Christchurch District Court charged with murder on Saturday, after he allegedly stormed a mosque in Christchurch, opening fire with a semi-automatic shotgun and a rifle on about 100 people attending Friday prayers.
Authorities have confirmed 49 people were killed in the massacre and at least 40 were injured.
Haji Daud Nabi, 71, and Naeem Rashid and his 21-year-old son Talha, have been confirmed dead by heartbroken family and friends.
Scroll down for video
There are fears for three-year-old Mucad Ibrahim (pictured) who was last seen at the Deans Avenue mosque with his father and brother Abdi
Haji Daoud Nabi (pictured), 71, a father-of-five and retired engineer, moved to New Zealand from Afghanistan in 1977 and set up a new life as one of the ‘first Muslims in New Zealand’
Naeem Rashid (pictured), from Abbottabad in Pakistan, was hailed a hero after he tried to wrestle the gun from the Christchuch shooter on Friday
Mr Nabi, a father-of-five and retired engineer, moved to New Zealand from Afghanistan in 1977 and set up a new life as one of the ‘first Muslims in New Zealand’.
Two of his sons Omar Nabi, 43, and Yama Nabi, 45, appeared outside Christchurch District Court on Saturday morning where they shared photos of their father.
The pair were told to expect the worst on Friday afternoon after their father hadn’t returned from his Friday prayers.
Naeem Rashid, from Abbottabad in Pakistan, was hailed a hero after he tried to wrestle the gun from the Christchuch shooter on Friday.
He was badly wounded after he launched himself at the shooter in a bid to protect fellow worshippers.
He was quickly rushed to hospital following the attack, but later died.
A Facebook appeal was issued for missing man Lilik Abdul Hamid (pictured)
Naeem Rashid (centre), from Abbottabad in Pakistan, was hailed a hero after he tried to wrestle the gun from the Christchuch shooter on Friday
Mr Rashid worked in Pakistan at a private bank before moving to Christchurch where he worked as a teacher.
In a tragic twist, Mr Rashid’s 21-year-old son, Talha, also lost his life during the mass shooting.
Dr Khursheed confirmed to ARY News that his brother Mr Rashid and nephew Talha had been killed in the terrifying attack.
A Facebook appeal was issued for missing man Lilik Abdul Hamid but it has since been confirmed he did not survive.
‘A friend of one struggle… has passed away in New Zealand… the victim of NZ animal terrorist,’ a relative wrote on Facebook.
‘All Muslims are grieving and pray for you.’
Born in Indonesia, Mr Abdul Hamid was a practicing Muslim who lived in Christchurch.
Abdi said he ran from the mosque as fast as he could and thought his young brother (pictured) would be at the hospital
Omar (pictured) said his father was one of the first Muslims in New Zealand, opening the Tuam Street mosque in Christchurch, after discovering the country was a ‘slice of paradise’
A spokesman for Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that five Pakistani citizens are missing.
The Pakistan Association of New Zealand (PANZ) confirmed 34-year-old Syed Jahandad Ali was also missing.
There were fears for three-year-old Mucad Ibrahim who was last seen at the Deans Avenue mosque with his father and brother Abdi, Stuff reported.
Abdi said he ran from the mosque as fast as he could and thought his family and friends would be at the hospital.
His father, who was shot, played dead before fleeing the scene.
Other missing victims are understood to be Vora Ramiz, 28, Hussain al Umari, 36 and a year ten high school student.
Cashmere High School student Sayyad Milne, 14, who was at Friday prayers when the shooting started, is feared dead.
The teenager’s half-sister Brydie Henry said their father, John Milne, told her Sayyad was last seen ‘lying on the floor of the bloody mosque, bleeding from his lower body’, Stuff reported.
Ms Henry said Sayyad’s mother, Noraini, was able to escape the mosque.
‘They’re all at home just waiting. They’re just waiting and they don’t know what to do,’ Henry said.
‘Their thoughts are it’s not good news. They’re very worried.’
A spokesman for Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that five Pakistani citizens are missing (pictured: missing person Syed Jahandad Ali)
The Pakistan Association of New Zealand (PANZ) confirmed 34-year-old Syed Jahandad Ali was also missing
Indian politician Asaduddin Owaisi confirmed on Twitter Farhaj Ahsan, whose parents live in Hyderabad, was also reported missing.
Mr Owaisi has also requested support of authorities in helping a Hyderabad resident travel to New Zealand to see his brother who was reportedly shot in the chest.
‘A video from Christchurch shows one Ahmed Jehangir who was shot. His brother Iqbal Jehangir is a resident of Hyderabad and would like to go to NZ for Ahmed’s family,’ Mr Owaisi tweeted.
At least one Jordanian was killed in the attacks and two are critical among the eight injured, Jordan’s Foreign Ministry announced, according to Arab News.
Khaled Haj Musatafa was reportedly confirmed dead while Jordanian barber Wasseim Alsati and his daughter were critically injured.
Mr Alsati, who moved to New Zealand for a better life, is recovering in hospital where he shared a video to social media.
Abdulrahman Hashi, 60, a preacher at Dar Al Hijrah Mosque in Minneapolis, told The Washington Post that his four-year-old nephew was killed in the attack.
Indian politician Asaduddin Owaisi confirmed Farhaj Ahsan was also reported missing on Twitter
At least one Jordanian was killed in the attacks and two are critical among the eight injured, Jordan’s Foreign Ministry announced
Mr Hashi said his brother-in-law Adan Ibrahin Dirie was in hospital after suffering a gunshot wound.
He had been praying with his five children who all managed to escape except the youngest child who was killed.
A toddler and a teenager boy are among the victims in need of urgent hospital treatment following the New Zealand mosque massacre, Christchurch Hospital’s head of surgery Greg Robertson confirmed.
The two-year-old boy and 13-year-old boy were rushed to hospital following the mosque terrorist attack. Both are now in a stable condition.
A four-year-old girl has also been left in critical condition and has been transferred from Christchurch hospital to the Starship Hospital, a children’s hospital in Auckland.
Mr Robertson confirmed medical staff are continuing to provide care for 39 injured patients.
Christchurch Hospital’s head of surgery Greg Robertson (pictured) confirmed a four-year-old girl is in critical condition following the shooting
Out of the 48 patients admitted to hospital, seven individuals have now been discharged.
‘The 36 in hospital also include two children that remain within our care. Both are boys, one is aged two, and the other is aged 13,’ Mr Robertson told reporters.
‘Both are in a stable condition. As you would expect, the wounds from gunshots are often quite significant,’ he added.
The surgeon also confirmed that four patients had passed away while they were being transported to the hospital.
He also said that while the victims ranged in age from ‘very young to quite elderly’ in the main the majority of patients were males in the age range of thirties to forties.
‘Of the 36 patients that remain in hospital, 11 of them are in the intensive care unit, including one female aged in her mid-20s.
‘All of those in ICU are what we would consider critically ill,’ the surgeon said.
While some patients remain in a stable condition, the surgeon confirmed that others are not.
He added that 12 operating theatres worked throughout the night.
Many victims will need ongoing care.
‘As you appreciate, there is usually not just one system involved, and we are using all of our surgical services in their different specialties to deliver care for the patients as they need it,’ he added.